All in a day

All in a day
Tis the season

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Adelaide Gaol


Yesterday the open waters, today jail. 

The Adelaide Gaol was built in 1841 and housed approximately 300,000 prisoners during its 147 years of operation.


It's hard to believe that this jail actually kept its doors open for so long, some of the conditions are appalling... some may argue that this is incentive to not break the law, but in actuality does the penalty deter the criminal? 


Here's some rather interesting history:

"In 1836, when Adelaide was first established, as a free colony, it was decided that a Gaol was unnecessary. This decision proved to be incorrect and the first prisoners were held on the HMS Buffalo which was moored at the Adelaide seaside suburb of Glenelg."

(if this interests you just click on the link for further reading)

This was rather eerie, it looked like a real person lying there, I half expected him to sit up at any given moment. Thankfully he didn't.  

 
Yup, rarely a dull moment in my world...


The only thing I forgot to look up, and maybe somebody knows this, is how do they get 'gaol' out of 'jail' or vice versa?

10 comments:

  1. Let's just say I am so happy you have had such a good time visiting 'gaol' or jail!!!
    Glad you were just 'visiting!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda I'm extremely glad I was only visiting, I can't even begin to fathom staying here!

      Delete
  2. It's a pretty miserable and ugly place. Unfortunately ,as you say, it wasn't much of a deterrent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red not with approximately 300,000 people getting put in jail here, I personally believe that there should be more rehab work done with prisoners, there's such a lack of services... but that's my rant for the day and I'll stop there. Cheers.

      Delete
  3. We have a prison much like that, it's called Kingston Penitentiary, in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horst is that prison still operating? I think that they also closed the doors there, but not too sure. Have a great week.

      Delete
  4. This jail reminds me of the one in Alice Springs - I hated it - felt so much sadness inside, that I had to retreat to the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly I didn't know that there was a prison like this in Alice, is it also shut down? There were a few places in this jail where I had to get out of too and get into the fresh air. Creepy, eerie feelings especially where they hung the prisoners.

      Delete
    2. Hi Darlene,
      Yes, it is now a museum and so eerie - I couldn't even put the photos into my album, so I can't tell you the name. Memories and visitations of people past haunted the place.

      Delete
  5. I hate visiting jails, I have been there several times due to my proessional obligations, but as Beverly said-a lot of sadness there


    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.