Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Monday, December 20, 2010

Childrens Art

The oldest ornament on my tree is one my son made for me when he was approximately 5 years old, he's 31 now which would make this 26 years old. 

 
I love childrens art and I'm looking forward to a tree ornament in a few years when my granddaughter, my sons daughter, can make me one to hang by her daddy's. 
I love Christmas!

20 comments:

  1. When I was a kid we had a cork board in the kitchen and in the top corner was an elephant made out of brown paper. I don't remember it ever not being there and finally one day I asked mom about it. She said it was something my older brother had made in school and she just hung it up there. It had originally been gray but the sun had faded it to brown. It stayed there the entire time we lived in that house. When we moved she tried to take it down but it just crumbled with age.

    Now, in our bedroom, I have the walls plastered with all the things the kids give us. My favorite is a drawing of a semi truck that my son did. The truck is cute but above it he wrote "i love you Daby" just like that with the b where two ds should have been. I hung it by my side of the bed so it is one of the first things I see in the morning and the last I see at night! I love to lay in bed and just look around at all the things they have made for us. Kids sure are a blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each of my boys has a box of "their" ornaments. The understanding was when they had their own houses, they could take the box and have a good start on their own ornament collection. So far only one of the three has done it (and that was because his wife encouraged it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more Andy, kids are a gift from above. Teenagers try our patients which just makes us appreciate grandchildren that much more... we know what our children have in store for them! lol

    Kathy, that's an awesome idea. When the other two are ready they'll take their boxes and appreciate the memories. Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! My most favorite ornaments that go up every year are all the ones my children have made and other people as well along my journey in life...it's what makes our tree to special don't you think? Even all those paper creations get hung around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 weeks ago when i was in Lebanon, I stumbled on a box, inside the box were a few ornaments I did when I was in Kindergarten. My father kept them all - Actually, it is very touching to think that our parents keep the slightest thing we ever made :-)
    Maybe one day I will keep a box full of ornaments my children or child made :-)

    By the way, very nice pic!

    Greetz,


    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! When did you decide to change the blog name?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that ornament is really old ;)

    Hope to be around when your granddaughter start making you some.

    At first I thought it was an eatable ornament, a gingerbread or something ;), but then I thought, eatable ornaments don't last that long, lol.

    Thanks for sharing your Christmas spirit with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! That is so sweet- and especially that you still have it over all this time!
    Perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now thats an ornament,but I don't think I would want to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The old ornaments my children made are my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Touching post Darlene - I think those are some of everyone's favourite things ! I think we still have some of our kids' ornaments but since we didn't have a tree this year, I'm not sure. What we do have though is an imprint of our kids' hands made in plaster when they were in kindergarten - they've (the hand prints) moved with us to each new home and hang on our bedroom wall along with a photo of them at that age !

    Thanks for stirring the memories !

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are the best ornaments! I still have all the ones my 5 kids made when there were little. Such precious memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Darlin. How wonderful!
    Merry Christmas to you and you your family.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen thank you and you bet that's a part of what makes this all so special! Merry Christmas. :-)

    Joseph, thank you and that's wonderful that your father still has things you made when you were a wee lad. Wait until you're a parent, you WILL keep things such as this... mark my word. It's a good thing! ;-) Cheers! And thank you for the compliment on my photo, you're so kind.

    Irina, thank you and it's all better now. Something just didn't seem quite right, I'm darlin here and that's that! lol

    M., here's a heads up for you, NEVER eat anything which decorates a tree! lol Not unless the tree owner offers you something from it! :-) And your welcome, come again, tomorrow when I'm not so darn tired I'll pop over to see what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dawn, it is extremely special, I have a few more that my daughter made for me when she was in kindergarten as well, for some reason I don't have anything from my middle son. Oh oh, the middle child, the forgotten one! lol I keep asking him year after year to make me something for my tree, this year I'll TELL him to, I don't care if he's 26! lol

    Pam, it sure is, thank you!

    Chad, as I mentioned to M., NEVER eat anything off a decorated tree! :-)

    LL, hi there... Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones! I'm glad that you popped in, it's getting hectic over here and I wanted to ensure that I got to wish you a very merry holiday season. I'm sure that I'll run into you again here in cyber space but just encase... HAPPY NEW YEAR as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rick, that's awesome that you have those memories and you keep them where you can see them. This to me is a part of what Christmas is, something you can't buy but you sure can feel it!

    Karen, why not post a photo of your saved ornaments? I'd love to see them!

    Regina, well hello there, it's been a long time! It's great to see you again, thank you for the Christmas wishes and the same back to you. I wish you the merriest Christmas ever and all the best to you and your loved ones in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eating ornaments!!! I wouldnt want to be under your skin, Hassan . . . Hehehehe :-D

    Two words: Rolling Pin . . . LOL

    Greetz,


    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Joseph:
    You made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.