Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Friday, November 11, 2011

CFR - 11/11/11


A near and dear friend had two tickets to the Canadian Finals Rodeo, he had invited me to go with him about 6 weeks ago and I'm glad I didn't know how busy I'd be right about now or I would have missed out on this amazing opportunity. 

I love the way tonight's event began, it's Remembrance day, a day for us to pay honor to our fallen soldiers. First the cowboys entered...


 The cowboys were then joined by some of our soldiers and the bagpipes played Amazing Grace; I must admit it was extremely touching.

Because tonight's show was a "No Photos" event I wasn't able to get nearly the quality of shots I would have liked to, I only had my P&S but nonetheless I'll share a few of my captures. 

Ladies barrel racing.

Calf roping

The bucking broncs

...and there was so much more. The one event I don't much care for is the bull riding. Those have to be the longest 8 seconds of a cowboys life, either that or the few seconds it takes for them to get out of they way so they don't get stomped by the bull.

 The stadium was sold out, we had 6th row seats and it was an amazing event.  I'd forgotten just how much I love going to the rodeos... but when did they cowboys get so young? ;-)

What did you do on 11/11/11?

6 comments:

  1. Wong it is a fun and exciting event to go out to watch. The ones who competed here and won will move on to the Las Vegas for I think the world competitions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun... well on 11/11/11 ... I painted a wall in our new home... and you know how you love Home Depot...well hubby has memorized all the aisles at the Lowes...just down the street from us....sighhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, good thing it was booked 6 weeks ago - so you DID get some 'me' time. And for a 'no photo' event, you sure did well ! ;-)

    I too love rodeo - went most years to the Calgary Stampede (and still wear my 2001 Stampede belt buckle ;-) And bull riding was one of my favourites. I used to get tickets from my work - 3 rows up from the bull pens. How ANY sane (??) person could get on one of those beasts is beyond my understanding - but you're right about the riders. I think only the young could get on them - they're not old enough to know better !

    Kinda missed our Canadian Remembrance Day - it's not quite the same here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flora that's awesome to have a Home store so close to you! Well I think it is. :-) A good way to spend a day, how did the room turn out? Photos please. :-)

    Rick thank you. I've never been to the Calgary Stampede but after this rodeo I'm wanting to go. I just might get the opportunity to do so next year, I won't be in school! Woohooo! I can get a life outside of working. :-) Thankfully nobody was stomped by the bulls, and yup I agree with your comment about the young ones, not enough experience under their belt buckles yet to know any better. Do they do a Remembrance Day celebration in Florida? The fireworks you captured were phenomenal, I still have to learn how to take fireworks shots, mine are all blurred still. I just don't get out enough... sigh! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darlene - here it's called Veteran's Day and yes, there are parades and services to remember them (plus schools are also off).

    As for capturing fireworks, those were my first (beginner's luck ?). Take a look at my camera settings - you absolutely need to use a tripod, have your focus set to infinity beforehand (just focus on something far away and then turn off auto-focus on your lens), use a low ISO (100), small aperture (f11) and a shutter speed of 4-6 seconds (experiment). Now go find some fireworks ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.