Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Darn Cold

It's been so cold here lately, so cold that when I have to
go out I start the car with my remote starter (so thankful to 
have this feature when it's this cold!), I RUN from the house
to a warm vehicle and off I go. Yesterday I attended a board 
meeting which lasted the better part of the day, we met at the
River Cree Hotel and the buffet there was amazing!  I snapped
a quick shot as I pulled in, the teepees which welcome guests
had me thinking... I wonder how people ever survived harsh 
weather such as this back in the day. I can't even imagine! 


The temperature yesterday averaged -30c, 
way too cold for my liking! 

20 comments:

  1. it's really cold! here is only -4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola when we hit this time of year I pray for -4 days! lol

      Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. j'aime beaucoup cette photo!
    Je découvre ton blog et je vais le suivre avec attention, il me plait beaucoup, félicitations pour ce travail !
    Cath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, je vais être plus à visiter votre blog ainsi et voir votre partie du monde à travers votre objectif ! Cheers.

      Delete
  3. Oh, MY!!! That is so cold I can't even imagine! Glad you have the remote starter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda it sure was a cold week last week, freezing cold so I didn't venture out too far unless I had to, and this day I had to.

      Enjoy your day!

      Delete
  4. -30?? daar moet ik niet aan denken..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter tepees in the old days had two ;layers of skin and grass in between the layers. However many tepees were not this well made. And yes it was very cold for the people just as it is for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red I can't even imagine, no wonder people were wrapped in animal furs... having to brave this type of weather with no furnace, that's unreal.

      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  6. -30C ? I guess it was time for the pullover under the fall jacket then. Now, when it dips to -45C you'll seriously have to consider the winter coat ! [but it's a DRY cold !]

    ;>)

    Ah yes, I recall those days very well. Never experienced a day below -44C living near Calgary, although there were many days when I drove on square tires for a few kms.

    Nice to come back and go through a bunch of your posts Darlene. Never a dull moment - well, maybe when the battery quit. :(

    Hope those child's eyes arrived for you to see Christmas through.

    Have a fantastic week - weather notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rick, I find that anything below -25 I'm pulling out the parka for these days. I'm getting 'soft' in my YIKES, I almost said old age! lol I'm far from old!

      The square tires, I totally relate and when that happens I just pray I don't have a flat! It gets hard to tell when it's that cold out. -44c, that is insanely cold. I remember when I was young, still in school (wait a second I still am young and still in school! lol), when I was a child...there that works... the school would shut down after -40f, we missed quite a few days back then in the winter, buses wouldn't run, and it seemed the world stood still.

      The battery dilemma is all good now, back in action and braving the cold temps. This week thus far it's been darn near spring, today it's up to about -14 or so. After experiencing the -30 or lower -14 doesn't seem so bad.

      It's always nice to hear from you Rick, you're a beacon of sunshine in my grey days. And yup, it's grey out there this fine morning.

      Have yourself a wonderful week, take care and thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  7. Ouch thats cold!!! But that is such an amazingly beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Davine for the compliment on this shot, I took it with my cell phone even though I had my DSLR with me. It was too cold to get out of my vehicle and get my camera from the back seat... that's how cold it was! lol

      Cheers.

      Delete
  8. This looks COLD indeed!! ;-)

    Do have a good week! ;-)
    dzjiedzjee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gert, so far this is an awesome week! Been keeping busy but will share a wee bit of this on my next post. :-)

      And cold... you bet it was cold!

      Cheers.

      Delete
  9. I take it that nobody lives in those teepees, and they're just for appearances...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL no these teepees are symbolism as far as I know, maybe some ceremony in warmer months but I'm not totally sure about this.

      Delete
  10. I heard it was especially chilly in Alberta... be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LSP we've had a wee bit of a break in the frigid temperatures but tomorrow it's supposed to dip back down to -16 or something like that. When it's cold here it's darn cold and the days where we hit -10 is a welcomed break.

      Have a wonderful day, cheers.

      Delete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.