Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Monday, June 15, 2015

University of Calgary Aboriginal Grad Celebration 2015

Each year the university I studied through holds a celebration to honor 
students whom have self identified as being Aboriginal.  In Canada we have
three major classifications of Indigenous peoples; First Nations, Inquit,
 and Metis. I am Metis which loosely translated means of 
mixed blood.  I went to this celebration and what an honor it truly was.  
Each grad receives and Eagle Feather, a Pendleton blanket and 
being Metis I also received a Metis sash. 

My ancestry is from the Cree Nation, our neighbors to the 
south are Blackfoot and even though the regalia might
be a bit different, and some of their cultural ways are not the same, 
I still felt like I was with extended family.  I went to this event by
myself and never felt like I was alone. I love this
aspect of our cultural, we have a saying "All my relations"
and I felt as though I was with relations. 

I am the only one in this photo wearing the red Metis sash.  We were lined
up in order of doctorate, graduate degrees then bachelors, the lady
in the regalia (next to the lady in the black and white jacket) received
her doctorate! Well done!  Now the ideas are dancing in my head,
but they can stay as thoughts for now.   

We were lined up to take part and be honored in 
a powwow, the grand entry starts with the Chiefs, Faculty then
us grads... what an experience this was! 


After the grand entry and presentations
the powwow was back in full swing.  I'll share a few of
the photos I shot during this event. 


The energy and vibrancy put into the traditional dance is astounding! 


This is one of my personal favorite photos I shot. 



They say a picture says a 1000 words and
this next one speaks volumes to me. 


I was flying high, a life's high and I felt totally honored. I'm 
still elated and I hope this feeling sticks around for some 
time to come!  The University of Calgary Native Centre 
did an amazing job hosting this celebration once again.


The celebrations are over, the books are mostly tidied up and I've
been asked by many people, what's next?  I have no idea, this is a part
of the joy of life, trusting in the process and living in the moment,
what is meant to be will be. 


Onward and upward...
  my journey of 1000 essays is now
COMPLETE! 

8 comments:

  1. How special that ceremnony!!! Thank you for sharing it with us! You look gorgeous!
    Take your time in choosing what lies ahead of you. Chances are - your future will choose YOU!!
    You have prepared and educated yourself for so many opportunities! Just watch! THEY will be knocking at your door!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I'm enjoying a bit of me time, then I'll see what happens next. Once I dive into work it's going to be a while before I'll be able to take time off, might as well get rested and ready for whatever lies ahead! Have yourself a fantastic week!

      Delete
  2. It's great to get together and share your pride of your achievements. I know the challenge of University. I struggled. I know it's harder for some first nations as there's not only the academic challenge but studying. in a very different culture. I'm proud of what you've done and also your relations with you in Calgary have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Red, I feel so honored and now the next phase of this journey will be interesting, to see what I'll be doing and where. I have no idea what this is going to look like and I'm not in a big rush to open that next door... a bit of a breather is in order first, then I'll be heading out into the workforce.

      Have yourself a phenomenal week, and thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Glad to see that you finally got what you wanted and strived for, looks good on you girl. It sure does look like you had a good time at the celebrations. Hope this Doctorate takes you to great heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Horst, wow how've you been? I checked your blog a few weeks back, did you change your blogging site or just haven't been blogging lately? I celebrated the Masters, no Doctorate yet, and I'm not sure if this is in my future or not, for now a bit of down time, enjoy this fine weather and then it's going to be time to get out into the working world and put some of my acquired knowledge and lifelong passion into whatever it is I'll be doing.

      Thank you for your kind words, I hope all is well with you.

      Cheers, have a fantastic day!

      Delete
  4. Darlin, you are my hero. Congrats to your success and bright happy road to future achievements ahead (something tells me you will not stop now!).
    You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irina, there definitely as been a fire lit and where this is going to lead me to I have no idea, for now a bit of a rest, a ton of fun and hopefully an abundance of photography... then I'll see where I go from here.

      Wishing you a phenomenal day! Cheers.

      Delete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.