Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Who would have thought?

For this past few years I've been trying to figure out how to keep
my winter footwear clean. The salt which is used on the roads stains
my mukluks, the slushy days are horrific, and it's been a challenge BUT 
I think I've figured this out.  

I've tried a new product, new to me this is. 
 First I cleaned my mukluks with salt stain remover, 
then I sprayed them with Outdoor Scotch Guard, let 
the first coat dry, then re-sprayed them. This past week I 
haven't had to clean my mukluks. It worked so good 
I've now sprayed my EMU boots I sent home from Australia
when I was there last year. 


If you're going to try something like this I'd suggest you try
a small spot someplace where it won't be too noticeable, 
I know this worked on my footwear, but to be on the
safe side I'd say experiment first. Some of this footwear
is pretty expensive and I sure wouldn't want to see or hear
of anyone ruining a good pair of mukluks! 

12 comments:

  1. Well, good idea and good work. However, the old girls in the settlements wore rubber shoes with the moccasins inside. So take your pick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red my cousin from High Prairie found me a pair of the rubbers, a half size larger and my mukluks would have fit nicely in them, as it is they're a wee bit too snug. I'm guessing if I could wear the rubbers for a bit they'd stretch but it takes getting used to. For now this works for me. Maybe my next pair I'll get the unlined deerskin mukluks, they're supposed to be the absolute best for keeping feet warm.

      Delete
    2. I'm surprised they still make rubbers. I didn't use the term because I thought you wouldn't know what I meant. In the settlements there were no roads or sidewalks. The ground in many case was soggy so they needed something to keep their feet dry.

      Delete
    3. Red I had been looking for rubbers for a long time, I couldn't find them in the city but my cousin who lives in a small town in northern Alberta knew where to get them from. I'd find a way to make them work if we were always slushy here as well, I'm sure after a bit of wear they'd stretch out but I don't want them to stretch too much as I plan to get new mukluks probably next year and that's the pair I'll use them for. Hopefully with proper care the new mukluks will last forever!

      Delete
  2. They look warm - but I think they may be a bit over the top for a Melbourne winter!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally right Steward, way over the top for Melbourne! lol

      Have a g'day!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all the tips. I think everyone living in a cold, snowy climate all shares your pain. Boots can get pricey and having them look bad is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilith it's difficult to find a good product and when I do I love to share my findings. I don't trust manufactures of anything, they all claim their product is going to work, I spend the money, try it and guess what... it doesn't work or it can potentially ruin the suede on this type of footwear. I've done countless google searches, never once did I come across this idea so I hope that this helps others looking for a decent product.

      Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  4. Very cool! Even though this isn't my most favorite kind of fashion statement, it is one that needs to be welcomed right now, and for a bit of a long time to come! Yikes, really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen this type of footwear is now a must, yesterday -25 with the windchill it was about -34... now that's darn cold! With a long jacket and tall boots I can almost tolerate it... to run to my warm car! lol

      Yup not welcomed weather, but on the brighter side, we're here to enjoy another beautiful day!

      Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Great tip just as the rains start in earnest here in Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Galen, it's awesome hearing from you again. Life sure can get busy sometimes eh? Or when it's not busy sometimes I tend to not even want to get on my computer... but I do just the same most days.

      If you find this product and use it would you please let me know how it works for protecting footwear in the rain, so far snow is the only weather I've tried this is.

      Have yourself a wonderful weekend, cheers.

      Delete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.