Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

One Room, Many Hours

Those of you who have been following me here on my blog since I moved into my new home know that I've done quite a bit of fixin' up. The hard work has been very rewarding but unfortunately I've had to put the work on pause while I've been back in the classrooms. I posted yesterday about a wee bit of spring cleaning and one friend asked me what my drapes looked like that finally got around to putting up. I thought that I'd show you all what the work looks like as it's all coming together in my room. I have a few things to do yet but it's come a long way. 

Day one, down came the wall which divided two small bedrooms and I had a nice size master bedroom and plenty of work ahead of me. 

I tried to tape where the wall joined on the main wall and what a mess I'd made. This horrendous pink just had to go. 

After I got the mess cleaned up and did the best I could with the taping I tried something different, I put venetian plaster on the wall and I like it. It took a lot of work to do this, first I had to prime, then put two coats of the plaster on and the final phase was sanding it all down. 


The next thing was deciding on a color to match the Franchescian plaster, I picked a greenish gray and it worked, the two colors look fantastic together.


Throughout all of this I painted the doors and the inside of both closets, yes ladies I now have two closets and thankfully they're not too big... I've filled them both already. Oh plus the closet in the office is pretty full, it's time to purge soon I think. I painted the bifold doors a few times, three I think, until I found the right color for them. I also picked out things like new bifold door handles, new lamps which I'm going to change again, and for Christmas I got a new bedding set along with the drapes and matching valances. 

Here's a portion of my bedroom now, I'll show it again IF I ever get it finished.... it's close but not quite done yet. A few more hours of work, a few being maybe about 10-15, I'm also waiting for my daughter to do a painting for me to hang over my bed and I still have a few odds and ends to get to and I'll have a finished bedroom.


To do one room the way I want it sure has taken up a lot of time, but it's so worth it.  
On that happy note... a good night to you all! I got tired just thinking of all the work I've done in just this one room! 

For those of you just waking up, have a wonderful day.

12 comments:

  1. You are incredible! I am sure you will get it done, you are definitely one of the most determined people I know!

    The transformation is absolutely spectacular! You've done a wonderful job!

    I will have a wonderful day, this is my "Friday". We're taking off tomorrow for a long weekend to visit a good friend! I'm excited! :)

    You have an absolutely wonderful day too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok you must live in Doctor Who's Tradis, there cannot be any more to rooms to decorate. I think you have started all over again and not realised ;-}

    I love the cuddly toy on the pillow too.

    Si

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...you are doing a major overhaul! Did I see that right you even tore the old sheetrock down!!! (I've had my share of this stuff on, off, and hauling away! Ug! Wow...a terrific job and accomplished by a woman at that! Great, awesome work Darlin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks GREAT.

    If you ever get to California, I have work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you certainly have done a lot of work! It looks fantastic, so definitely worth it! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sensational . . . You can continue your major in transferring to interior design :-)

    Greetz,


    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andy, thank you and a wonderful long weekend to you! Enjoy your time with your family!

    Si, that's my love dog. My sister bought this stuffed puppy for me when I was ill and hospitalized for a lengthy period of time, it felt like love so I've called him my love dog. :-) And yes the rooms are nearing completion, one more small bathroom, Cheryl's bedroom in the basement and the wall going downstairs plus all of the ceilings then I'm done. I'm looking forward to the day when it's all done but in reflection this house sure has come a long way! Where have I had the time? That's the part which baffles me!

    Karen, I had help taking the wall down but if I had to you bet I would have done it by myself... that's just the way I am. A tad bit nuts but a good sorta crazy! lol Thank you very much, it feels good to sit and look at all the work I've done, I've had a bit of help but this is all about 90% of my work. I only wish I had more help but I'm about to start recruiting to get this job done for once and for all.

    LL, thank you and WHEN I get to California the only job I'm going to do is maybe a bit of consulting if need be but other than that I'm hanging out with the pool guy and basking in the sun! lol

    Saz, you should see the rest of the work, this is only one room! :-) I moved in here at the end of July last year and every room in this house needed painting, closets included. The pink that you see in the first three photos, well that was the entire house, even the inside of all the closets. It's been a ton of work but extremely rewarding, my house is now my home!


    Joseph, I need to get this degree first! lol I'd love to be able to decorate all day long, not the actual physical labor but the designing. That's a tough market to break into though, see if I have my social work degree this way I always have something to fall back on if I ever decide to pursue anything else. The next courses will be in photography, then maybe something else part time.

    Have a fantastic weekend everyone! Think of me and be grateful you're not studying all weekend for finals like I'll be doing... yup the life of a student.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Darlin, so what photography coarse are you taking?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Horst none yet, that's my next goal after I get my Social Work degree. I'm just finishing up my 3rd year at university, one more to go and then it's time to get a job and I want to take personal interest courses once I get a routine happening.

    I noticed that you take magnificent photos, are you self taught?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice transformation from that first to the last shot ! All that work is certainly paying off, Darlene ! I'm sure as soon as your semester, and vacation in Canmore of course, are over you'll find that 10-15 hours !

    Have a great weekend - yep, it's almost here !

    ReplyDelete
  11. ciao from london! - seems like it's been a messy yet well earned re-decorating journey! - must feel awesome to get it all done and dusted! :)

    nora

    www.norachou.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/norachou

    ReplyDelete
  12. nora, it sure does feel awesome to be able to crawl into my bed at night and see all which I have accomplished. It's rewarding and this is why I think that I do most of the work myself. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.