This morning I was grateful I had my radio on and happened to hear about a fire which had traffic backed up on the route I normally take so I detoured. On the way home this afternoon thinking that the fire would have long since been dealt with I traveled down my regular route. I was delayed and it was slow going, here's what I came across...
I was saddened to see this, there was an AA room upstairs where there were plenty of meetings, I'd guess at least 15-20 different ones every week. I used to go occasionally to a Friday night meeting and it was fantastic, I could feel the spirituality in this room. Now there's no more meetings here but the one good thing about AA is that it won't go away, this isn't the only building in town and there's so many other meetings in various places all over this city to attend. I'm sure that the people who ran this one will find a new spot, after all the found a new place when the last one burnt down about 15 years ago. Out with the old in with the new... speaking of which I noticed something today. Are firefighters getting younger or am I getting older?
The 3 fellas in the yellow all look like they could be my sons! YIKES. All kidding aside, thank God for firefighters who place their lives at risk more than I think most people realize. Hats off guys, you do amazing work!


So sorry to hear about the fire...hopefully nobody was hurt...fires are so horrible...they wipe away so many things....but you are right everyone there will find new places...and I do agree with you that they are getting younger...as are the State Patrol and a good number of police officers everywhere! I saw to extremely young looking troopers, one male one female in a restaurant today and out of uniform I'd swear they were still in high school! Nice shot of those hard working firemen!
ReplyDeleteNo..you're right. They look young! Then again...I'm getting older too;)
ReplyDeleteIt's good to know that a building is a building and can be replaced. The spirit of the place remains if it's there or not!
Have a wonderful evening (and FRIDAY!)
Is it almost the end of the 8 days for you?
PARTY!!!!!:)))))))))))))
Karen, thank you for the compliment on my photo. If you enlarge it you can see the one standing with his coat off... check out those arms! lol It's almost scary to see how young some of the police and firefighters look but when I was younger they didn't look so young... funny how that works eh?
ReplyDeleteDawn, I'm getting there, next Wednesday I'll write a final and then I get another take home final for my online course on Thursday. I'm heading out to Canmore next Friday and spending the weekend with my children out there... that's my party! I can't wait!!!
ReplyDeleteSigh... yup I guess I have to start looking at the chiefs now! ;-) Is that what the boss's are called? lol
Have a wonderful weekend, hopefully with lots more sun and warm temperatures.
Funny thing - I noticed that too ! What's even more hilarious though is being asked for id by a youngster when ordering a beverage in Florida - especially when I'm almost 3x as old as he is !!
ReplyDeleteAnd as for kudos for firemen - I'm all for that !
Rick, when the ones who are still wet behind the ears ask me for ID I call that "tip fishing!" Wait a second, by no means is that intended as an insult... oh sheesh then I was going to add you look really good for your age, I don't even know how old you are so guess what, I'm going to stop typing right about now and take this little foot out of my big mouth! lol
ReplyDeleteSometimes events like this give a push to communities to refresh or do something new. It gives them opportunity to have a new start or try new ideas.
ReplyDeleteAnd trust you to eye up the firemen, uniform always gets them in the end lol.
Si
I'd rather have a young, strong firefighter than a middle aged one that may not be as adroit
ReplyDeleteSi, what can I say? lol And I hope that they rebuild, well this area can do without the pub next door but this is only my opinion. I'm sure that place will have to go as well, it looked pretty damaged. It's funny driving by here, I used to work at that pub forever ago. No more pub work for me, I've hung up my bartenders hat and am trading it in for a social workers cap. Quite the opposite ends of the work arena, but hey, change is as good as a rest they say! Cheers my friend, I hope that all is well in your world and your week has been a brighter on in all aspects.
ReplyDeleteKathy, some of those middle aged firefighters look like they could run circles around the younger ones! But hey who's looking? lol Have a fantastic Friday!
Good that you knew about the whole situation earlier!
ReplyDeleteGlad you found early! Least you weren't stuck in traffic on your way out!
ReplyDeleteAlso, young fire fighters suit me just fine. ;)
They put their lives in so much danger, they deserve all the respect they can get!
I love the idea that it's the people who matter and that they will find a new place. And of course, who doesn't love pictures of cute young firefighters! They are indeed so brave. True heroes every day.
ReplyDeleteYes, a saddening moment :-( I hate to see people loosing a life times work :-(
ReplyDeleteGreetz,
Joseph
Ola yes I'm glad that I was able to avoid the traffic jam but when I drove by later in the day it was disheartening to see that this is the place where many meetings were held weekly.
ReplyDeleteSaz, you're young enough to have a keen eye for the young men who put their lives on the line to save others whereas I've now passed that stage in my life, it's sad in its own way but in another way I wouldn't go back for a single thing. I don't want to have to relearn all which I've learned in life ~ there were too many mistakes I made in life which I had to learn from. What life boils down to in a nutshell is choices and consequences, consequences can be a negative or they can be a positive in life, the positive ones are to savor and the negative ones are the life lessons. So my dear young blogger friend, choose wisely in life is my suggestion to you. Cheers... have a wonderful day!
Joseph, it is sad to see people lose possessions and an accumulation of memories all at once, just gone in a heartbeat. One thing which my mother taught me that I will never forget... they're just things and things can be replaced. Today I am extremely grateful for all which I am blessed to have in my life. Cheers my friend, have a wonderful weekend!