Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Up Up and Away


Today was quite the day, we climbed a hill. Now this may not seem like a big deal to you so I'll take you on the walk...

I looked at this hill and thought... no worries, it's not that far up,
and off we went. Andrew, the other student with me, has climbed before. I never have climbed anything made of rock and me being me, well I just had to do this if for no other reason than to say I did it.
Through the thorny buffalo bush we went, gradually the incline began.
About 3/4 of the way up there was this really steep drop, the rock was smooth and I made the mistake of looking down. What was I thinking? I rememberd at that exact moment that I'm petrified of heights, or as was pointed out to me, I'm scared of falling from heights... ya okay whatever, I was scared! I stopped, took a few deep breaths, regrouped and continued to climb. Andrew had to pull me up here and there but we kept on going.
A critter we spotted, this little thing didn't scare me at all, not after seeing the Thorny Devil.  
After about an hour of climbing we arrived at the top, it was totally worth facing the fear, the thorns and the breath it took to huff and puff my way up the hill.
Looking down on the Pukatja commuinity, a totally different perspective.
We sat and took in the beauty, then decided we'd best get down, the sunset would have been amazing from the top of the hill but we'd have a bugger of a time finding our way in the dark. Did we ever time that good, half way down the sun began to set...
 Would I do this trip up the hill again? Probably if I felt there were some more amazing photo opportunities and I had a flashlight to help see the way down.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! You sure are adventurous....an hours climb up. Great views and shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, there's that fine line between adventerous and insanity, I think that I teeter between the two. lol

    Thank you for the compliment on my shots, it took some fancy maneuvering to take my Rebel up the hill with me. I only banged it once, that's not bad.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing climb, thanks for taking me up it this early in the morning! The views were so worth the climb....I love these kinds of adventures, as long as you give yourself enough time so that you still have daylight when you climb back down! We came close to being caught in the darkness at Harney's Peak in South Dakota...started too late and spent too much time taking photos...and finally discovered we better get a move on or we'd be in trouble.....it was a crazy race down! Great photos! You'll have to do some travel writing and make a profit off your discoveries and fun in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen your climb sounds as close as we came to trying to maneuver in the dark, we cut it close.

    How would one go about making a profit off of discoveries and fun in the sun? Now wouldn't that be an amazing way to travel! You have my interest piqued.

    Have a wonderful day and thank you!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your view. The second photo down is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa thank you, this trip I'm thinking will be a one and only, well unless I'm really bored and I have enough homework that I have no need to ever get bored. That and there's an entire community of people to get to know.

      Thanks for dropping by, cheers.

      Delete
  6. Awesome adventure, Darlin. Great photos. Hope your legs don't hurt to much. I was in the garden for 2 hours on Friday and my legs are hurting a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horst I'm shocked that my legs didn't get sore after two hours of climb and getting down. I guess I have some muscle left in there somewhere! lol

      Gardening already? Wow, that's awesome! Enjoy your week, cheers!

      Delete
  7. Wow, looks like an amazing day! I would have loved to do that. I remember when I lived in Australia, we used to do this sort of climbing all the time! So I adore doing it. I could probably still do it with no problem. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saz I would hope you could to this without a problem, I can and I'm more than double your age! lol It was an interesting climb, I enjoyed it... until I looked down in the one particular spot.

      Delete
    2. Haha! Well it's good that you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  8. You made it so that I felt I was really there. Exposed means that if you stepped of the edge you would fall without being able to break your fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Red you felt like you were here, I'd venture a guess that you could make it up and down the hill in record time. And yes I was totally exposed for a bit there and that's the part I sure didn't like!

      Cheers.

      Delete
  9. Now you can cross "hill climbing" off your list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy I was thinking to cross 'mountain climbing' off my list, this in essence is a small mountain isn't it? LOL

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.