Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Readjustment


It's nice to be back in the city, the kind folks of Adelaide made me feel special today...

First off there's the huge sign which reminds me I'm in the city, you never know, I might forget and think I'm still in the Outback.


I became so accustomed to walking everywhere I went in Pukatja that I felt like I was trapped in my apartment, so out I went for a walk. I was surprised at my welcome home...

... there was a band playing just for me. (We won't mention this to my therapist or I might have to go back on my medication! ;-))


I felt claustrophobic, there were so many people everywhere I turned. I paused for a bit, sat on the ground and almost got run over by the blue shoes coming at me!


I figured that was enough of readjusting to city life for one day so after the groceries were bought, I turned and came home. I'd like to say I walked in to the sunset but unfortunately it was straight in to the crowded streets.


Now I'm wondering which is the life for me? It's definitely not the central business district, or downtown city life, it's not isolated in the desert, maybe a nice house in the suburbs... oh wait a second... I am blessed to have that waiting back home for me!

16 comments:

  1. I'm still not sure what you are doing in Australia, some sort of sabbatical? It's interesting though, because I live in BC, Canada and work at home for an Australian company, so I like hearing from folks who are there at the moment. It wouldn't be city life for me either, give me the boonies, or the "outback" any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce I'm here doing my final practicum placement, and what an experience this has been thus far. I'm here until June 1st then I fly back home to Alberta. BC is beautiful, I LOVE the mountains, the entire province right from the beginning to the sea is stunning. Victoria also takes my breath away, I haven't been there for a visit in years. The Outback takes a whole lot of getting used to, I was right on the APY Lands and ya, a total readjustment. I didn't rent downtown Adelaide on purpose, I detest the busy, loud, fast lifestyle but I'll be flying out again in just under a month to see more of this amazing country.

      Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. So what you're telling me is that Edmonton is best. For me the quiet isolation would be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red what I am telling you is that I'm blessed to be where I'm at (living in Edmonton in the suburbs), if I got to pick anywhere I wanted to be in Alberta it would be on an acreage about a half hour from Edmonton. I would be close enough for my children to pop by for a visit, but far enough away to have peace and solitude. To complete my dreams I would be able to holiday for Jan, Feb, and March, get away to someplace without snow and freezing cold... someplace like, hmmm Australia! :-)

      Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. hey Red, we all know that home is the best place to be. It's home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got a breather from visitors and am getting some visits of my own in while I can ...

    Spent some time here reading about your exploits (again) ... what an adventure ! Enjoyed looking at life in all these different places ...

    Loved that sign in Glendambo ;-) And also all that 'greenery' at the Breakaways ! But magnificent country nonetheless. And your donkeys, horses, puppies, bbbb-birds ;-)

    And SO much more ! I'm a bit jealous.

    We'll be heading back north in a few weeks (where it had been VERY warm but is now back to around 9C). Hopefully spring will beat us home !

    Keep on enjoying !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick it sure has been (and continues to be) quite the adventure. Life is amazing, I never know what's going to be around the next corner or what the next passing moon may bring my way.

      Back north already? Wow, the winter has passed so quickly and 9 isn't all that bad, it could be much worse. I'm looking forward to photos while you still have a good connection.

      Take care and may God bless your today's and look after your tomorrows.

      Cheers from the land down under. :-) Thanks for dropping in, it's always such a pleasure to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for explaining again why you are in Australia. Sounds like you are getting a bit homesick! How perfect to have a year of summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Galen, no worries and it has been almost a full year of nice weather. I experienced a few months of winter before I left home, but that seems a lifetime ago now. I'll be getting home in time to enjoy the summer months there while Australia experiences their winter months, which really aren't all that bad from what I've heard. Have a wonderful week, cheers.

      Delete
  6. I understand your feelings, and I totally love how you expressed them with your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, obviously I had a bit of time on my hands to play with photos, something I'm extremely passionate about. Have a great week and I'll be over to catch up one of these fine days. Cheers.

      Delete
  7. I think so ! With all the desserts you have been !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wong after a month and all I experienced in that month it's so nice to be 'home', busy streets and all! Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  8. Welcome back to civilisation. Love the blue sneakers and red shirt. Fun with PS but I've forgotten how to do it. Sounds like you are getting a little homesick. A nice home in the suburbs and in Spring, but wait, what about that killer winter which we never experience here?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Diane, the people out there are civilized but in a different manner than I'm accustomed to is all.

    I don't know how to even upload a photo in to photoshop, never mind edit it! lol I just used picnik but unfortunately that program is no longer going to be available after April 19th, Google is taking it over so back to the drawing board!

    I would love to be a snowbird, after Christmas fly Australia and not go back until about April, ya I could live like that! :-)

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.