Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Friday, December 4, 2009

Midnight Madness, Once Again.

Today the snow just didn't let up at all, we paid for our mild November today! I swept the steps umpteen times and Terry shoveled the walk at least four or five times and you can't even tell tonight! YUCK!

... so I was sitting here around 11:00pm after not going out in this horrific weather all day and I decided that it would be a good time to go for a drive before I become too scared to drive with these road conditions. Off I went to WalMart, (they are now open 24 hours), I did some shopping and almost wanted to just camp out there, it was that bad on the roads. The one nice thing... WalMart was almost empty less the people stocking the shelves. So now I am finished my Christmas shopping, I beat the rush! More like I was the only one nuts enough to go out shopping in this weather!

12 comments:

  1. Oh I love this photo - call me crazy but I do miss the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll trade you places in a heartbeat Davine! lol I've about had enough of the snow and it's just starting here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what snow is like, i did fly over chicargo once and it had some snow, i always did wonder what it would be like for a season even though i hate cold.
    It looks lovely though, but i think id be slashing my wrists after 15 minutes..lol...
    A'isha

    ReplyDelete
  4. A'isha, I totally agree with you that you just might be slashing your wrists. I feel that unless a person is born into this insanely cold weather that they don't really stand a chance! Then again there are some people insane enough to leave warm climates to come to our deep freeze. I know that I'm getting tired of all this cold, we could switch for a month and see what happens next! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a few years since we got that much snow in such a short period. I wouldn't mind it as much if I didn't have a sidewalk and driveway to shovel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually seriously thought about emigrating to Canada, as hubby can speak both french and english, but afraid my french sux, so didnt think we would have a hope, my husband absolutley loves the cold, and i use to be like that, but the older i get the warmer i like it... it gets real cold here too in parts, and this silly capital city (im here for work only) snows around it in the mountains, but luckily ive missed it so far. Ive been out of the country for most of the last 2 winters..

    Ahhhh... snow blower.. new toy.. never seen one of those..lol..that could be fun....

    wish you warm evenings

    ReplyDelete
  7. A'isha French is a second language here. It is only in Montreal where they speak mostly French from what I know. It is extremely rare in Western Canada to go anywhere and have people speak only French and I believe that is most places in Canada which are like this. English is our language here, you would be just fine here as you seem to be fluent in English.

    Exactly where do you live that you are able to escape the winters? And yes, snowblowers are another toy, not that I own one but one day I will when I own my own home!

    Winter is a beautiful time of the year, it's just the driving that makes it a pain. Just yesterday I was a half hour late for class because people are still adjusting to the ice laden roads and there was an accident on one of our major veins to the downtown core. The nice thing is that the instructors do not mind us being late due to traffic, they understand what the roads are like! I'm just going to have to leave a half hour earlier on the days I have my finals to ensure I am there on time.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot that Walmart was opene 24 hours now. Shayne and I went last year until 2 or 3 in the morning. It was hilarious, Shayne was so tired that he walked right into a pole!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's hilarious Sandy! Did he buy a bunch of unnecessary items as well? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, that's what i thought too... But on the immigration site it said french was compulsory, or learn it... hmm... but hey immigration departments are weird, ours is so racist..

    I'm in Australia, so not alot of snow... I agree winter can be beautiful in the snow ( pictures), my favourite season is spring and autumn, i love the colours. i don't know how you manage with ice on the roads, it would be so dangerous. Do you have to put chains on the tyres? and heat the engine overnight? My car would refuse to start in cold like that... can't blame her either..lol..
    See i'm so ignorant of snow conditions...
    Take care on those roads.... and best of luck on thise exams.. your nearly there...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your immigration does not know what Canada is really like no doubt! I don't speak French nor does anyone in my family that I know of, nor do my friends or instructors. When I go out shopping I converse in English and people speak English back to me, so no French is not compulsory here by no means. And I live in the capital of Alberta, I have traveled to British Columbia and through Saskatchewan and have also been to Ontario and nobody there spoke French to me! I'd just laugh if they did! French is our second language and you can tell the immigration people I told you! lol

    I do not put chains on my tires although some days I'm sure I could use them, it does get pretty darn slippery out there but we just drive slower, or most of us do! They put sand on the roads to help keep us on the roads. I'll try to get a photo of a truck doing that one of these days so that you can see. And they have graders which keep the snow off the roads. The first huge snowfall it is hard to get around, it takes the city time to get the trucks and graders out cleaning the roads. It is quite the site to see for sure.

    I do plug in my car overnight when the temperature drops down to -20 or colder. We have what are known as block heaters in our cars, this does keep the engine warm mostly. Even on horribly cold days vehicles which have been plugged in might not start, then I just take a day off and stay home. I never leave my fridge or cupboards bare in the winter, mind you I never normally do that anyways, I don't want to get snowed in one day and be without food! Not that it's ever happened to me but I'm the sort of a person who is ready for almost anything!

    I just realized how much I have to be grateful this morning, I have a car, I can plug my car in, most days I can go anyplace I choose to go, I have food in my warm home, and I am extremely grateful to be able to go back to school and that I am able to take these final exams! Thank you A'isha for helping my gratitude get a kick start this morning!

    Have a great day, I shall now plunge into my books with a new enthusiasm which I hope lasts all day long! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.