Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sterling Autumn Garden Festival


Today we wondered down to Sterling, I'd heard that it was beautiful this time of year and there was a festival happening out there today... festival? You bet I'm in!

My first photo is in response to a post I made a few days back in regards to photographers etiquette. Today at the festival in Sterling I was listening to a group of children playing some stunning music and kept on trying to get a shot in, there was this gentleman with a hat on directly in front of me, when I moved, he seemed to move. When he noticed I was behind him, he asked me if I wanted a photo of him, he was joking, but I said sure and quickly snapped a shot, we both laughed, as he made room for me.

So hats off (not literally! lol) to you kind sir, thank you!


... now back to my regular scheduled blog.

 As I was saying, it's Autumn here now which is strange for me, back home it's the beginning of spring. Here the leaves are changing colors and to see this is absolutely beautiful, especially when I know that snow isn't about to follow! 


 At the festival there were plenty of vendors selling plants, food, flowers, homemade items, roosters...


And what's an Autumn Festival without scarecrows? (I'm the one with the sunglasses on!) ;-)


and the children making music was astounding.


Yup... Autumn in April, now this is a totally different concept... then again I'd rather Autumn in April than snow like I've heard they're getting back home!

21 comments:

  1. You really communicate the fun in the festival both in word and picture and your mischievous smile as a scarecrow adds to the whole thing.
    And we don't have snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red thank you. You must not have gotten the snow they did in Edmonton last week, I'm not sure if it's left yet or not but for everyone back home I hope that's the last of it until at least December... ya, I'm pushing it! :-) Have a wonderful week Red!

      Delete
  2. Yes! We were at the same place ... Isn't Stirling beautiful with its autumn leaves but very busy. I like your lovely gentleman in the top pic Darlin. You are certainly seeing a lot of our city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne Stirling is gorgeous and not far from the city at all! Even the drive out there is stunning. The gentleman in my first photo was a lot of fun, as I find most people here are. There is a huge similarity to Canadians in the friendliness aspect, we also both have a lot of the same laws, social (in)justice issues. Now to figure out how to get some of these glorious beaches back home and I wouldn't have to rack my brain to sort out how to come back here each year! :-) Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. I love that metal rooster...would go great next to my wooden one!.
    I do medical transcription for an Australian company, and it always sounds weird to me when they come up with things like "next Christmas during summer break" and things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce I also like that rooster, it's so colorful. They also had some pretty awesome turtle mosquito coil holders which I would have purchased if only I knew it would make it home without being damaged.

      The seasons here are totally opposite what I'm used to as well, I can't imagine Christmas in summer, now New Year's I sure could! That would be awesome to be here for Jan, Feb, and March, our worst winter months back home. Where there's a will there's a way they say, now I have to find "they" to find out how to make this a reality in my world! lol

      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  4. Great Photo of the 'man in the hat' - what character and his smile was worth the hassle of you trying to see around him. No Autumn leaves in Brisbane, can't wait to see you on the 12th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly this photo suits his character, I told him that he was going to make my blog so I hope he looks this up. He input my blogger address in to his phone, I'd love for him to come here and see his charming smile! And yup, we're down to counting the days, only 12 more and we'll get to meet face to face after all this time! What a blessing this is, a true blessing, which I'm totally looking forward to. Oh, can you please give me a heads up as to what to bring for clothing? What's the weather like where you are? I don't want to bring only jeans and jumpers and it's 3/4 length pants weather and a light jacket or not. Cheers.

      Delete
  5. Hi Darlin,

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I've been reading your blog catching up on the last few months. Lovely photos!

    All the best
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan, this has been an amazing journey to the land down under, it's a far cry from Alberta Canada where I reside! The 26 hour flight and time spent in airports to get here has been worth ever second of the time spent traveling... and even the flight back will be worth it. I've fallen in love with this amazing country and hope to return one day. If there's nothing else I've learned in life is dreams do come true, I just have to believe. Thanks for dropping by and your kind words. Cheers.

      Delete
  6. Hi there - I was talking at work today and the subject of "winter" came up - even after almost 20 years the idea of June as a winter month still does not work inside my head!

    Nice set of pictures.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Stewart, it is rather odd but something I could live with, no worries there! Thank you for your compliments, they are appreciated.

      Cheers.
      Darlene - unsure where I'm from anymore! lol jk

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Galen it sure has plenty of character, I love the colors, such happy colors! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  8. Your writing shows a fantastic humor!!
    The photos are very interesting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monika I love to write, well unless it's papers which I have to get to work on. I hope this rain we're getting currently lasts for a few days, it's easier to focus on writing! Have a great week!

      Delete
  9. Looks like fun! Strange that it's fall here, while it's spring here! Weather is really nice today, should get up to 15c... nice for Edmonton anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shayne I'm going to be so messed up when I get home, I won't know what day it is, what month it is or what the season is... all I'm going to care about is finding my bed for a few days. I hope that it doesn't take too long to get acclimatized back to our norms. 15 here is cold, 15 at home is almost shorts weather... funny how that works. Have a great week son, I love you!

      Delete
  10. Wow - another 10 days have flown by (as well as quite a bit of time here as I got caught up on all your posts again !). I can understand how you're leaving a piece of your heart here - and you certainly need to take a vow to come and reclaim it someday.

    Sure looks like the folks there are friendly (well, except perhaps for the misfit who parked in front of your parade view). Magnificent country, and it's been a treat living a (little) bit of it through your lens.

    We're safely back home where spring is coming - in fits and starts - snow a week ago but later this week it's supposed to be 24C. That's a crazy Canuck spring for ya.

    Enjoy the coming of autumn. That'll be the first time you'll go from autumn to summer.

    Back soon (I hope). Got the internet upgraded - not blazing fast but at least it seems to be working (1.7mbps out of 3.0).

    Have a great week Darlene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick welcome home! Now that song Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam, where the deer and the antelope play, where seldom is heard, a discouraging word and the skies are not cloudy all day... home, home on the range.... k nuf of that now! lol

      The folks here are so friendly and helpful, there are so many parallels between here and home, well less the amazing beaches which are here... but ya, I could totally get used to this type of a lifestyle. Maybe, a small maybe, one day but that's not to worry about now, if it's meant to be it will be.

      24 wow, hope it hits that for you and you bet this is a first to go from autumn to spring, totally bypass the winter... woohooo! lol

      Ooops gotta run, a friend is meeting me for a coffee, will get back to u! Cheers.

      Delete
    2. Hi again Rick, sorry bout that. And no coffee didn't last that long, I was back within the hour but got busy with other things, deadlines are quickly approaching and here I am acting like I'm on holidays... well I am, sort of!

      That internet you have now is much quicker than when you left, what were you getting then - something? ;-)

      Yes it's going to be a really emotional day on June 1st, my heart will be so sad to be leaving here, but it's going to be so happy to be going home to those I love. When I get home there's still some work to be done to earn this degree, no worries though, it's going to be done in record time, I've had about enough of studies for a while. I've given it some thought as to weather or not to pursue the masters, and that can wait, not in the fall by no means, but possibly next year I will begin part time studies... who knows, that's tomorrow and today I'm going to get this one paper done even if it means not sleeping tonight! I want it out of the way, it's interfering with my fun!

      Have a wonderful day/evening Rick, take care and God bless you and all of your loved ones... I bet the grandchildren are happy to have Grandma and Grandpa back home! :-)

      Delete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.