Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Flu Shot


Last night I went for the flu shot, they put three types of the flu vaccination into one. I've had this shot for the past five years and other than a sore arm I've felt fine. Last night I also got the pneumonia shot, this is the first time I've ever had this one and I think that this is the culprit. I've been so sick all day, I haven't even bothered to get dressed, I've slept most of my day away and still feel like crap. And here I thought that these shots were supposed to keep you healthy, not make one sick. 

If I never got sick I sure wouldn't appreciate it when I feel healthy, everything happens for a reason and looking at from this perspective this quote now makes sense...

"Tis healthy to be sick sometimes."   
Henry David Thoreau

... not that I like it one bit but such is life.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks Irina, I can use a few days of rest and relaxation. I think that our bodies tell us when to quit and take a rest and it's my turn to do just that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They gave me the flu shot last Monday.

    I asked about the pneumonia shot. The nurse said that they'd give it to me, but it's only recommended for people over 65... so you're not in the group to be euthanized. You were young enough and healthy enough to survive the injection. And what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

    (silver lining in the dark cloud)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big huge and get well soon. You do realize that the jabs actually give you a mild form of the flu so you body builds up its natural defenses?

    Si

    ReplyDelete
  4. LL, far from being old enough to be euthanized, mind you yesterday I might have welcomed it. I have a medical condition and "they" feel I require this shot once ever 5 years, good luck to them if they think that I'm doing that twice... bastards! I am strong enough and don't need any more of that nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Si, they say that it's not supposed to, there's no live bacteria in these shots but who knows. Maybe I'm just being a sissy, mind you the fever tells me different but ya, I'll just chalk it up to the sissy thing. Hell, I've lived through much worse, way way worse so this is almost like a holiday, time for some R&R and catching up on homework.

    Thanks Si, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You poor thing :-(
    The same happened to me after I got my Tick Shot ^.^!

    Get well soon ;-)

    Greetz,

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch - sounds like the cure (or prevention) is worse than the disease !

    My wife had to have the flu shot because she volunteered in a hospital, and it made her quite sick. I decided I'd take my chances with the real thing. I'm also of the opinion that sometimes the ex-spurts are more interested in politics than science e.g. the H1N1/swine flu 'pandemic' that was going to wipe out millions. Ok - I'll get off my soapbox and let you recover ;-)

    Try to have a nice weekend Darlene !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joseph are you being funny or is there such a thing as a tick shot? WHAT I won't know if I don't ask! And thank you, I feel a bit better today, not a whole lot but a bit.

    Rick I have to agree with you that a lot of this is political, did your wife get another shot after that experience? This is something that I'm going to question my doctor about next time I see him and let him know what happened to me this time around. I've missed two classes now, it wouldn't be bad but they're 3 hour classes. And thank you Rick, this too shall pass but it'd best pass by Sunday! My granddaughter is getting Christened and I refuse to miss that, sick or not! I'll just stand way in the back with my zoom lens. :-)

    Have a fantastic weekend guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. With national healthcare being a drain on the country and all, they may have decided to thin out the ranks a bit this year... I know that's just in a Stephen King book, but it's close to Halloween.

    I'm glad you survived (read THE STAND by King)...

    ReplyDelete
  10. LL I'll pick up that book, I might not get to it for a while with all of this "required" reading but when I get a chance I will. I hope it's not scary, that sort of stuff makes me have weird(er) dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get a flu shot every year, and most years I'm fine. Still have to get one this year. I think I'm passing on the other shots though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam, as I mentioned the flu shot has never bothered me so it could only be this pneumonia shot. I'd say pass on it but then again I'm no doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, there is such a thing, its medical reference is: Encephalitis Vaccine!
    So it was a vaccine, must be taken 3 times consequently - 1 shot every month, and then its effect lasts for approx. 5 years!

    The vaccine is also available for dogs! On the american continent the vaccine is marketed under the name Tico Vac . . .

    Greetz,

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that's interesting. I think that I'd prefer to have shots that way vs. once per year. Now you have me thinking about Abbie, I wonder if she needs any type of shots. :-)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look into that, Tick Infections are no fun :-/

    Greetz,

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your perspective, Darlin! Nothing is perfect, and flu vaccines do not completely exempt everyone from getting sick. Our health depends on how we take care of our body. We shouldn't rely solely on the vaccines that we get; effort and discipline lead us to a healthy living. How I wish that people will have a mind like yours.

    -Julio Brzozowski @ USHealthWorks (Federal-Way-Center)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.