Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wash and Freeze


I was in a bit of a bind today, we had about 50 lbs. of carrots to freeze and it was starting to get late. Herb suggested that we put them in the washer to clean them to speed things up a bit. At first I was hesitant but relented, I put a few old towels in with the carrots and amazingly enough it worked! What a time saver this was. Not all of the carrots got done, we have at least another 100lbs. We're giving away a bunch and I'm taking home a gunny sack full and will can or freeze them there. Next year, NOT SO MANY CARROTS... enough already! lol

14 comments:

  1. Maybe you just discovered a new invention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a lot of carrots!!! That is very clever but also very funny putting them in the washer - you gave me a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rlol which cycle did you put it on and I hope you did not use any softener as carrots are meant to be crunchy ;-}

    Si

    ReplyDelete
  4. 150 lbs of carrots - Somebody has to call Bugs Bunny . . . :-D

    Greetz,

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  5. what's up doc??

    :) if only bugs were there...

    that's how i'm feeling about apples right now...
    they're everywhere...they're everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be very quiet I am hunting rabbits!

    Si

    ReplyDelete
  7. 50lbs.!!! wow.
    good thing you came up with a time saver:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. M. I think that this has been done with those really old wringer washers, the ones with the large tub. I've never heard of anyone cleaning veggies in the newer washers though so you never know! lol

    Davine I have to laugh at myself, I was going to say every now and again but it's more then that! :-) I have fun being me!

    Joseph, I only wish!

    Chas, that apple thing I totally hear you. My boss has a tree that produces like crazy and every year I get tons of apples. I don't know what happened to my applesauce cone though and sure hope that I can find a new one. Arny and Navy should have one or maybe online. Have fun with those apples!

    David... thanks, I think! lol

    Si, don't shoot the rabbits, send them over and I'll keep them in carrots for a year or so! ;-)

    Dawn, that was only the beginning of them! And when you're doing that many carrots you have to get creative, well I do anyways, full time studies and canning season don't go well together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bountiful harvest ! I also have a lot of carrots (is this the Chinese year of The Carrot ?).

    In the past I've covered them with a thick layer of straw - the ground doesn't freeze in the winter then (at least not here where it doesn't hit -40 !) and you can dig up fresh carrots as you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be the year of the carrot or some pretty awesome seeds Rick! That's one heck of a good idea to cover them with hay but here, well it's Alberta, need I say more? lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is too many carrots. Call the homeless shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea. I dont freeze carrots but do have a good place to keep them cool for the winter and they last a long time.
    I did this with cummbers once and it did clean them but I did have to go over them again.
    Some did get damaged. Carrots are harder so I can see why it would work better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janelle, between family, friends and enough to last the winter for myself not one single carrot will go to waste. I gave half a gunney sack away to friends out near the farm who didn't have the opportunity to plant this year. Next year if I do the same thing (if I'm crazy enough to let Herb plant on his own) I'll keep the homeless shelters in mind, maybe even make them a batch of veggie soup. Now there's one heck of a good idea!

    Lisa, I hope that they were pickling cukes! lol I'm still peeling the carrots that I canned and brought home, I left Herb with a sinkful and I think that he's just going to freeze what he has left as is... a little dirt never hurt anybody, the sign of a true farmer! lol

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.