Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Saturday, March 20, 2010

My First Rally


Today from 12:30 - 2:00pm I was a part of a protest. This was at our legislative grounds and I was impressed with the amount of people who showed up to protest the recent cuts to our education and our services. It's just not right that our government continues to make cuts, especially here in Alberta. We are the richest province in Canada and many of our children will go hungry tonight, many people will be sleeping in the streets and  many students will not get the education they require due to post secondary cuts... I could go on and on but don't want to bore you the reader!  It's unfair that there's so many concessions for large corporations while the people without a voice are the ones suffering.

Yes, today I was at my first rally and I can see many more of these in my future as a social worker. I will be there if I believe in what is being protested, you bet I will. I have found my voice and I'm no longer scared to use it.

On that happy note, after two days of this conference, which was extremely informative, I am exhausted and now I'm going to challenge myself and see if I can keep my eyes open for one whole movie... homework can wait until tomorrow, I've learned enough for one day!

9 comments:

  1. California cut 15,000 teacher jobs this month. Teachers with as much as ten years experience at the same job are losing their jobs. The problem we face is that California is broke - flat broke.

    1/3 of the people in the US who receive welfare (dole) benefits live in California.

    There have been protests here too, but school and government officials argue that there is simply no money to pay them.

    My daughter (a teacher who lost her job) said that they've raised class size by 30% and have implemented a number of other measures that nobody is happy with to try and cram more students with fewer teachers.

    Part of our problem has to do with reduced property taxes. The value of the average home dropped by 50% in 2009 and remain low - so property tax based on assessed value was sliced in half. It seems as you are starting to feel a similar pinch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in response to a question you raised earlier on legalized cannibus products, there are state and federal judicial systems in the US, same as Canada. It's against federal law to traffic in marijuana irrespective of state law. In California, possession of small quantities results in drug diversion, not incarceration. You may also possess marijuana if you have a doctor's prescription (medical marijuana). Bottom line, it's all but legal to possess quantities of marijuana for personal use in California and it's legal to possess if you have a prescription.

    Possession for sale or transporting quantities outside medical channels is still a felony in both the state and federal judicial systems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to not get too riled up about politicians just before I go to bed - not good for sleeping :) My view is that if politicians were to take a serious look at the millions/billions being wasted by government, there would be plenty left over for needs (vs rewarding friends) and we could probably get to keep a little more in our own pockets too! Will the Wild Rose Party make a difference ?

    Nice action shot here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cause Darlin. Good to voice out sometime. Education is important.
    So many rally around here too. But I've never been to any one.

    Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LL, the marijuana laws here are about the same. The reason I was asking about California is that it is rumored here that the Californian government is going to legalize it and make the profits. I know that if anybody would know about this that it would be you. Thanks for the info. And sorry to hear that your daughter is no longer teaching.

    Where will it all end? Will it ever get any better either in the States or in Canada? Time will tell the tale yet I know when it's time to check that box on election day I won't be voting for Harper. Rick lets hope that the Wild Rose has a voice in all of this.

    Regina you are so right, Education is vitally important and we are being hit severely hard with cutbacks, much like the States. I believe it was said yesterday that 30% of Post Secondary educators have been let go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the virtues of living in a democracy is: The ability to cry out!
    The question is: We have the right to scream and rally and object, but are we heard?
    I hope so!?

    Your cause for sound education and a better future for your/our kids is 1.000.000% justified!
    They better do what you voiced out for!
    Because kids and their proper education is OUR future - Not only in Canada but everywhere :-)

    Have a strong Week-Start - You must be proud of yourself *Thumbs-Up*

    Greetz,

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joseph, I sure hope that we were heard, if not then we'll just have to speak louder! The children are the future and if we're not investing in our children what will they have for a future? The world is in enough of a mess already, it's time to take action and I will be a part of that action.

    Thanks Joseph, and I hope you also have a wonderful week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really proud of you and I wish more and more people would stand up for their rights. Sometimes, governments try to take our rights from us and unfortunately, most of us just sit down on the sidelines letting that happen.

    I say "we got them there", so they have to live up to our expectations and not the other way round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. M. thank you and you are 100% right, now if only the government would remember that they are supposed to be here for us and that it is us who votes them in. I am hoping for a minority government from here on in, it seems our voices are heard a wee bit more through a minority government, not a whole lot more but a little is better then not at all.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.