I love to read but with all of my textbooks I find that I have very little time for pleasure reading these days. This past weekend I treated myself to a magazine, something I rarely do. As I was browsing though my new magazine yesterday I became amazed at all of the advertising. There are 54 pages out of approximately 182 pages in this particular magazine which I could actually read, the rest... yup you got it, advertisements. I did the math, the cost of this magazine, tax included, $6.29. Each page of actual reading material was approximately 11 cents, and not all that much was even interesting. Now add to this the cost of the trees destroyed to produce the paper and the cost escalates. Through a Project 365 challenge I started taking a photo a day quite some time ago and posting it on this blog, I started to see the world differently and wanted to see if I could capture what I was seeing. Then life got busy and I put the camera and blog aside and today I take my Canon with me from time to time, and now that I think of it I miss taking photos on a regular basis. Glad to be back, it won't always be the DSLR shots, but nonetheless, here I go again!
Perspective
Why I love photography
Monday, February 1, 2010
Buyer Beware
I love to read but with all of my textbooks I find that I have very little time for pleasure reading these days. This past weekend I treated myself to a magazine, something I rarely do. As I was browsing though my new magazine yesterday I became amazed at all of the advertising. There are 54 pages out of approximately 182 pages in this particular magazine which I could actually read, the rest... yup you got it, advertisements. I did the math, the cost of this magazine, tax included, $6.29. Each page of actual reading material was approximately 11 cents, and not all that much was even interesting. Now add to this the cost of the trees destroyed to produce the paper and the cost escalates.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dream your own dream and read what you enjoy reading! I'm sure you enjoy scanning the ads too. As the father of four girls, I know the female of the species likes looking at the latest perfume or shoe every bit as much as men enjoy a new shotgun or that fire engine red Ferrari.
ReplyDeleteAll men dream, but not equally.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible. (TE Lawrence)
Thomas E. Lawrence
LL you are a wise man. I LOVE the quote, thank you for sharing it with me. Now that I have all of the ads ripped out of this magazine, it's which one do I choose to put on my dream board! :-)
ReplyDeleteYou know it's a bad magazine when you are more interested in counting the pages than reading the material!
ReplyDeleteNot only do magazines have too many ads vs. actual stuff to read, they also multiply like bunnies once they're in your house! You find this out when the time comes to clean and organize.
ReplyDeleteShayne you sure got that right!
ReplyDeleteSherry I've moved so many times over this past four years that I don't have this problem, I downsize each time I move it seems like. One day I shall own a house where I can collect my magazines! :-)
Or you can go to the library to read/borrow the latest issues.
ReplyDeleteThat's what I'm going to do from now on.
Great idea Karen, I'll keep that in mind if I ever get the urge to read a magazine again and have time to actually do so! :-)
ReplyDelete