Perspective

Perspective
Why I love photography

Monday, October 1, 2012

Mama Bear

Last night my baby cub came to stay over, she was going for surgery first thing this morning and I was taking her in for the operation. We were both a bit anxious last night, for her this was her first surgery ever and for me, well being a Mama Bear I tend to want to be protective of my children... no matter how old they get. So after I slept for all of about 2 1/2 hours I was up again and getting ready to head down to the hospital with my cub.

The procedure was... hmmm I have a photo here somewhere, I'd best just post a photo or I might make up something being as tired as I am tonight!


Ahhh right, it was for ligament reconstruction on her knee which she injured last year playing dodge-ball.  

 As they were preparing Michelle for surgery the one nurse walked in and questioned: "Are you the gallbladder surgery?"  The nurse quickly realized she had made a mistake and corrected herself, then she suggested Michelle write on legs to ensure the doctors didn't make a mistake as well.

After the nurse left I told my baby cub she should have also wrote on her gallbladder, "NOT HERE" just to ensure she woke up with her gallbladder still in place! :-)

All went well, within an hour after surgery Michelle was determined to start moving around, so with the help of crutches that she did. My baby cub will be spending a few days with here with her Mama Bear so this Mama Bear best get to bed so I'm up bright and early, steak and eggs is on the menu for breakfast... anything for my wounded baby cub.

12 comments:

  1. Oh I so know what you mean! So happy all went well, and that she had a momma bear waiting for her. It's not funny writing those notes either, because I have heard some horror stories about the wrong sides ! Now is there ice cream or some other special treat in order for you girls to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen out of anything she could have chosen she picked homemade chicken noodle soup, so soup it was. I also made an apple crisp and today I'll see what she would like and cook her some feel good food. The celebration will come after she's all healed, maybe in the form of a night of dancing! :-) Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  2. Once Mom , always a Mom.
    I hope everything went well and that she is soon back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Red, I think as parents we feel a bit of our children's pain, mind you we also feel their laughter and joy so not all is doom and gloom. Children, no matte what age, are a true gift from God!

      Have a wonderful day, even if you're getting this same rain and cold we're getting in the city!

      Delete
  3. Yes, they're never too old for some "mamaing".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Kathy, Michelle will always be my baby girl... she's the youngest and my only girl.

      I hope you're having a good day, it's pretty mellow in this house today, I'm trying to keep it quiet so my girl can get some rest, which she's not doing but she knows her body best.

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, sounds like a painful operation to have! She's lucky to have a mama bear like you to look after her. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saz it's going to take a while for the swelling to come down and for her to fully recover but she's got one heck of a good start. I'm blessed to be here for my daughter, it's so awesome being able to do this for her.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  5. I've been through that myself. For me, the pain involved came from anesthetic (spinal block) that led to really horrible headaches for a week, not the genuine 'recovery'. I got a ride home from the hospital and was thereafter abandoned for a week. And since you can't drive a car with a right leg that is swollen and wrapped, you're screwed. She's lucky to have a mamma bear to watch over her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL I can't even begin to imagine the pain you endured and to go through it alone would have been horrific. What did you eat, or did you even eat? There's not much mobility I see through Michelle's experience, never mind cooking. How long did it take you to fully recover?

      I'm blessed to be here for my daughter, and I love being able to help her out... too bad you didn't know me back when you got your surgery, I would have brought you fresh chicken noodle soup and all the apple crisp you could handle. Just 'cause you're you LL. :-)

      Delete
  6. Now, I can't even spell that correctly ! It seems to be really a tough thing to bear !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wong it's been a challenging week for my girl, but she's sure like me, she's pushing herself to get mobile and so far so good. She can now hobble around on her crutches, the swelling has come way down and she starts physio on Tuesday. I feel bad for her though, she's such an active young lady and to be laid up as long as she has been is hard on her. All in good time.

      Have a fantastic week Wong, cheers.

      Delete

I love hearing feedback, comments are welcome and I'll respond when time permits.