I was downtown today and thought I'd stop by my old college,
this is where my educational journey began 5 years ago.
this is where my educational journey began 5 years ago.
I can remember the first day of classes like it was yesterday. I got on the bus and every stop that bus made I was tempted to charge off that bus, cross the road and head straight back home. But I didn't, I kept on going.
Once I arrived at the college I swear the door weighed at least 500 pounds, my heart was pounding, my palms were sweaty and I questioned over and over again why I was doing this. Fear and intimidation had me second guessing myself; it had been 24 years since I had been in the classrooms, you bet I was freaked right out. With shaky knees I forged on, I pushed through my fears I somehow opened those doors, found my classroom and the rest, well as they say, is history social work.
Today I understand what Roosevelt meant when he said the "Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. Thank goodness I pushed through my fears, not only have I grown academically, I have grown as an individual. I'm not sure just how much I've grown though and I'm alright with that...
I'm cutting it close and might get away with not having to grow up!


I can understand you so much..
ReplyDeleteSometimes pushing through our fears make them go away in that very moment.
It is only in our minds..
Greetings my dear Darlin!!
Monika I agree, it's actually getting past the initial fear which can be challenging. Thank you!
DeleteI really like this post as it will ring a bell with anyone who reads it. I remember this experience as well. I was 17 far from home and extremely homesick. there was no way to cross the road and go home.
ReplyDeleteLife inside our head is a vague journey sometimes filled with doubt and fear. Life out side our head is obvious.
Red fear of the unknown paralyzes so many people, thankfully we got through it!
DeleteI applaud your courage.
ReplyDeleteThank you LL, coming from a man as brave and daring as you are this means a lot.
DeleteCheers.